Monday, October 22, 2012

Week 5- Genogram

This past week I have been looking into my family. I chose to do the Genogram, that is, plot 4 generations of your family and then display the significant relationships between members. I was able to discover some really neat stuff. Like, for example, my great grandmother (my mom's dad's mom) grew up for a major part of her life in a convent in the Swiss Alps. She was sent there so that her family could afford to feed all the children. She was farmed out from the convent to live in atrocious living quarters, mostly in the attics or decrepit basements of the poorer families in the area. She acted as a maid, nanny, or whatever else the family needed from her. She wore rags and shoes that were several sizes too small. (Keep in mind this is in the Alps, so its not exactly balmy). I found this fascinating. It helped to explain to me why she worked so doggone hard her whole life. She worked on the farm till the day she died, in her late 90's. It also helped to explain to me why she valued hard work so much. After all, it was her hard work that got her to America, that country which she loved so much.

I also discovered that she and my great grandpa, Albert homesteaded in Montana, as they worked their way to Western Washington. She had to stay on the homestead 24/7 while Albert went off to look for work every day. In order to keep the homestead, there had to be someone on the property for x amount of time. So she patiently stayed on the same plot of land day after day, and would walk out to the edge of the property every day, to see if she could see any other person.

When I think of all that my great grandparents sacrificed so that my grandparents, parents, and my cousins and I could have the freedoms and blessings that we do in this country, I am awestruck. Knowing all that they endured, helps me to understand why my family holds certain values, and why we are the way we are. Knowing your personal family history is so important. It gives you a stronger sense of who you are, where you come from, and knowing your history can help you to improve your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment